Friday, September 23, 2011

The Devils on My Shoulders

Since January, I have been flirting with a career in the education space, this has seemed to be a theme of my life.  I have two great influences in my life, my Aunt and my Mother.  While they are sisters, each of them chose a different career path.  The thing that they have in common is their drive to be successful and a fantastic work ethic.  

My Aunt & Godmother has been working for the same company for more than 25 years, where she's moved around through the ranks.  Despite not having a formal educational background, she has a decent salary, and fantastic benefits.  She's the voice of the "career professional" in my head who motivates me to achieve results in the for profit world where I currently assist my non profit clients in generating non-dues revenue.  

Then there is my dearest Mother.  She's a fantastic educator and has been ever since I can remember.  Her field requires her to stay current and her passion is to teach.  She's lucky because she too has been working for the same college for more than 25 years.  She inspires me as does my aunt. 

Choosing a path to devote myself completely to education is a scary proposition.  On the one hand it potentially provides the "opportunity" for work/life balance.  On the other hand, the hours in the classroom are not as great as those logged in an office.  However, you bring your work home with you, grading papers, responding to emails, student posts and such.  

While I have been flirting with this path in the education space, I have explored also combining these two passions.  This is a quick way to combine both of my interests and continue down the professional path of my career as a successful marketing and communications executive. 

My generation doesn't have the same desire or ability even to stay at the same place of work for more than a few years.  How do we make sense of our career paths and choices in this "economy?" Only time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment