At the ASAE Marketing & Membership conference, they took an informal survey of the room. Approximately 95% of the room hadn't redesigned their website in three years or more. I am all about brand consistency, but when new functionality comes out it's important as an association to stay current and not annoy your customers. At the same conference, it was revealed that a target budget is going to depend on what you want your website to do.
Here is a list of questions that I would ask a vendor if I were looking for a web site redesign.
- Open Source? Customized? Off-the Shelf?
- Do you have any white papers, best practices written on association websites?
- What is included in this price and what is an "add-on" and additional charge?
- Is hosting extra?
- Is the content management system (CMS) made for someone without programming experience?
- What about updates/tweaks?
- What is your per hour charge if we go over our estimated hours?
- What is your experience in the association space?
- Do you have references in my industry that I can speak to?
- What integrates with this? database? financials? social networking?
- Does this include bringing over all my content?